Sunday, May 23, 2010


Another first for Jack this weekend as we just took him camping for the first time! Michelle, Jack and I met my sister, Carolyn, and her family (Jeff, Jeffrey, and Emily) at a state park near Richmond, VA for a weekend camping excursion. The campground was great and surprisingly empty despite the gorgeous time of year. The weather was great temperature-wise, but it did pour down rain on us last night as we hung out around the fire. We just moved the party under the canopy and didn't skip a beat. The rain kept the bugs in check, so everything worked out for the best.

As for Jack, he loved the weekend despite the fact that he is dealing with some really painful teething issues right now. For about 10 days now he has really been in some pain, and thanks to the absolute perfect timing of the Tylenol recall, we have not been able to really medicate him other than with baby Orajel and teething rings. During those 10 days or so, he has been waking up at night and just been very uncomfortable overall. Michelle and I were concerned with how this would affect him while camping since he was already going to be away from the comfort of his own bed/room/house, etc.

But Jack is a trooper and loved exploring the campsite with his cousin Emily. They had a blast playing in the tents, playing ladder ball and bocce ball (sorry for the bruise from Jack's bocce ball throw Aunt Carolyn!), and climbing all over the camping chairs and things. He definitely kept us on our toes. He is working on gaining the title of "World's Most Curious Boy" which means Michelle and I had to monitor his every move to make sure he didn't wander away for a second only to come riding back to camp on the back of a bear or something.

When bedtime came around, we had some trouble getting the little guy to sleep. Between his teeth hurting and the fact that he never wants to miss anything, he just didn't want to go down. Michelle some how channelled the patience to rock him to sleep, then she re channelled that patience a couple hours later when he woke up and cried for an hour. She finally got him back to sleep, then he was up before the sun this morning. Luckily for everyone, he slept the whole 2 hour drive home this morning though.

We had a great time camping and are really fortunate that Carolyn and Jeff have a great supply of awesome camping gear that they don't mind us using. We will definitely be hitting them up for another camping trip in the future, but maybe not until Jack has all of his teeth!


  1. How fun....looks like Jack had a blast!!! You guys are very brave...don't think we are ready for camping just yet although I am sure our little one would love it too...he too would probably come back riding on the back of a bear!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

  2. Love the pictures!!! Looks like you guys had a great time! Hopefully the teeth will come in soon and the next ones won't be so hard on him!!

  3. Poor Jack! Our little one too is teething so he had fever and all.. I had the generic of the Tylinol so it help some what... See if you can find the generic. I check online and it was not part of the recall. Hope he is feeling better

  4. I literally - LITERALLY - cannot believe the changes in Jack!! What a gorgeous, gorgeous boy. Not that he wasn't a gorgeous boy before - but now... he looks SOOO happy and smiling, instead of sad and alone.

    Yea for mom and dad and yea for Jack. I am thrilled to see how great things are!! :)