Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thoughts of a SAHD..


I thought the University of Tennessee could use a positive image after how Lane Kiffin treated us this week, so here is Jack in a Vols jersey!

As Michelle posted yesterday, I am now officially a Stay At Home Dad or "SAHD" for short. (Michelle had to explain to me what the acronym SAHD stands for, I had no idea)

First of all, none of this would be possible if Michelle wasn't working her rear end off for us at her job. She puts in long hours, travels, and brings work home with her just to allow us to have a parent at home with Jack during these first crucial months at home. None of that is lost on me, but it can't be said enough..... THANK YOU MICHELLE!!!!

So far, things are going pretty much as you would expect with the daily routines. Jack and I play a lot, cook, eat, clean, take walks, take naps, play with our dogs and cats, and wait anxiously by the door for Mommy to come home each night. When we hear the garage door go up each night, it's hard to tell who is more excited; Jack, me or the dogs. For the most part our days go pretty smoothly and we manage to keep the destruction of our house to a minimum before Mommy gets home, though we have heard the following on occasion when she gets home: "My gosh, what the heck happened in here". Jack and I just smile at her and try to look cute. At least he succeeds in that area!

For me, it's been a bit of an adjustment going from working an 8-5 job to being a SAHD which is anything but an 8-5'er. Here are just a few of the things that come along with being a SAHD

- I have been called "Betty Crocker". (my brother laid that one on me when a game we were playing recently got heated).

- I now know the pain of hurt feelings when I try out a new recipe and Michelle makes a face like she was just punched in the stomach when she tastes it.

- I have learned how to fend off Jack with one leg while I balance on the other leg to remove something from the oven (this has led to numerous burns for me, but none for him which is what I am shooting for)

- I have learned that a day at home is extremely full of stuff that we do, yet none of it comes to mind when Michelle asks "what did you do all day?"

- I googled "breakfast casserole recipes" yesterday. That wasn't the disappointing part. The disappointing part was realizing that we didn't have the ingredients for the recipes I found.

- I may soon be on a first name basis with the people at Petsmart. This is a free way to kill 45 minutes or an hour when you have a cranky toddler on your hands, and we have been there a few times this week alone. (interestingly enough, they had a Russian Tortoise for sale for $109.99 - not including home study fees when you go to adopt it)

- Michelle asked me if I wanted a cookbook for my birthday (she was serious, which I probably should have been offended at but actually I wouldn't mind having one)


Anyway, I'm sure we will have more anecdotes for you as we move forward. For now, all three Currans are adjusting nicely to their new roles.

By the way, if anyone has any good raspberry tart recipes, send them my way!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything is going so well! No recipes here but I will give a look out for one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Russian tortoise had me in stiches! We like Rachael Rays 30 minute meal cookbooks. We just modify thema little and try to be done in 20 - they probably don' taste as good as they should, but hey - it feeds us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new role! If you find any good recipes, please share. I've tried some new ones since I've been a SAHM and most of them have been disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being able to stay home with Jack! Prayers for Michelle as she brings home the bacon! Oh and the Russian tortoise, LOL! I just google ideas I have for dinners and look until I find one that matches the stuff in my cupboard . . . and if you've not figured out the the crock pot is your best friend in the winter time, check them out! No balancing and burning to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hysterical post...and just wait how funny it gets when you get a vaccuum for your birthday.

    Glad to hear you can stay home with Jack. I stayed home the first 3 months and loved every second!

    ~Laura :)

    ReplyDelete