Monday, March 9, 2009

Changes...changes....MORE changes.....

In January 2009, the company I had been working for permanently closed its doors. Like so many other companies that have closed their doors in Tennessee and across the country, several hundred people experienced great hardship, and their lives were altered. Although this was not a great time in our lives, it was primarily upsetting because of the affects it had on our adoption. Russia ‘looks’ for a certain income amount, and without both of our incomes – we simply did not meet the sought after magic number they needed.

Bill reminded me that there is nobility in all work – even if I had to flip burgers at McDonalds (do they still flip burgers?). So luckily I found a job that met the magic number so we could get back on track with our adoption plans.

Lately, I have been fortunate enough to be approached with new career possibilities. It is amazing that in this economy that I am lucky enough to be offered a job. What is even more fortunate, and I may go as far as to call it a “miracle”, is the fact that both companies are fully aware of our adoption and were willing to work with us throughout this process. They are aware that we will make 2 trips, and they are also aware that I would like to take maternity leave after we bring home our little bundle of joy!

After much consideration, last Friday I finally accepted a job. I start in a few weeks and am really looking forward to it! I feel so blessed that I was given this opportunity not only because of our current economic crisis, but also because of our situation.

I have been searching for state comparisons/rankings on educational standards (this is completely new to me) – but this has proved harder than I previously considered (due to No Child Left Behind?). Since this is completely new territory for me, I had to stick with the in state comparisons primarily. Virginia does however have a better teacher/student ratio than Tennessee. Bill’s mom perhaps knows – what do you say Nana?

After we bring the child(ren) home, Bill and I will permanently move to Virginia. Bill is originally from Virginia and is really looking forward to moving back. We will also be much closer to Jeff, Carolyn and Emily so we look forward to having long weekends together. We just need to figure out how to get the rest of our family closer now!

No comments:

Post a Comment